[Soot-list] Various questions

Eric Bodden bodden at st.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Apr 29 05:33:45 EDT 2011

Hi Evan.

> 1. It seems weird to use a 'BodyTransformer' when I'm not transforming.
>    Is there something better to use?

A BodyTransformer is the wrong thing to use because it is executed
once for every method body. You should instead use a SceneTransformer
and insert it in the wjtp pack. Then use the -w flag to enable this
pack.

> 2. What pack should I use? Should I leave it in 'jtp', or move it to
>    'wjtp'? Or something else, like 'wjap'?

see above

> 3. If I turn on one of the fancier pointer analysis options (e.g.
>    '-p cg.spark enabled:true'), presumably the code will just start
>    taking advantage of the increased precision. Is this true?

Yes, you will then get a call graph and pointer analysis produced by
Spark. You can access them using Scene.v().getCallGraph() and
Scene.v().getPointsToAnalysis().

> 4. Does it sound like what I'm doing is pretty reasonable in the first
>    place, or is there some easier way that I'm missing?

Apart from using the wrong pack and transformer this sounds like a
good approach.

Dr. Eric Bodden, http://bodden.de/
Principal Investigator in Secure Services at CASED
Coordinator of the CASED Advisory Board of Study Affairs
PostDoc at Software Technology Group, Technische Universität Darmstadt
Tel: +49 6151 16-5478    Fax: +49 6151 16-5410
Mailing Address: S2|02 A209, Hochschulstraße 10, 64289 Darmstadt