[Soot-list] Various questions

Evan Driscoll driscoll at cs.wisc.edu
Fri Apr 29 12:38:20 EDT 2011

Thanks for the reply.

On 04/29/2011 04:33 AM, Eric Bodden wrote:
> Hi Evan.
>
>> 1. It seems weird to use a 'BodyTransformer' when I'm not transforming.
>>     Is there something better to use?
>
> A BodyTransformer is the wrong thing to use because it is executed
> once for every method body. You should instead use a SceneTransformer
> and insert it in the wjtp pack. Then use the -w flag to enable this
> pack.

Actually being called once per procedure is fine with me; what I really
need to do is look procedure-by-procedure /anyway/, I just need the
interprocedural call edges. So if my function was called just once, I'd
need to iterate over the procedures anyway.*

Does this information make either the BodyTransformer and/or jtp pack
sound more reasonable?

Evan

* If you're curious, I can reduce the size of the CFGs in my back-end
analysis, and doing it procedure-by-procedure gives some combination of
an ease-of-programming and efficiency gain vs giving it the whole ICFG
in one smash. The "abstract control-flow graphs" section of the
"survival guide" actually sounds like a little bit like what I'm doing,
just... more heavyweight than I think I need.