[Soot-list] TamiFlex

Eric Bodden bodden at st.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Tue Feb 8 09:20:21 EST 2011

Hi Jochen.

Thanks for your message. Just to let you know, TamiFlex has its own
mailing list, which you may want to sign up for:
http://groups.google.com/group/tamiflex-discuss

But about your problem...

> currentry I try to use TamiFlex because I want to analyze a project
> using reflection with Soot and I need a complete call graph. I run my
> application with the playout agend enabled. It generates the desired
> output but I get the following exception:
>
> TamiFlex Play-Out Agent Version 1.1
> Found 86 new log entries.
> Log file written to:
> D:\Studienarbeit\ProjectsWorkspace\ImageJ(modified,pretransformed)\out\tamiflex\refl.log
> Exception in thread "Thread-0"
> java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1
>     at java.lang.String.substring(Unknown Source)
>     at de.bodden.tamiflex.playout.Agent$1.run(Agent.java:130)

Line 130 holds this code:

String agentJarDir = agentJarFilePath.substring(0,
agentJarFilePath.lastIndexOf(File.separator));

Normally this should not be able to fail because agentJarFilePath
should hold the path to your poa-1.1.jar, and therefore should contain
a File.separator token. I wonder if this is a Windows-related problem.
I always tested TamiFlex on Unix-based systems. Could you let me know
the exact command line that you are using?

> The folder ...\out\tamiflex contains some *.class files. What is the
> intension of these files?

Some applications generate classes at runtime or load them from
obscure locations. TamiFlex therefore writes to disk all classes that
the application loads (including generated ones) into a flat
directory. This allows you to then easier supply these classes to
tools like Soot. If not needed, you can disable the option using this
command line:

java -javaagent:poa-1.1.jar=dontDumpClasses,<yourOutDir>

In general, if you just type "java -javaagent:poa-1.1.jar" this will
show you all available options.

Dr. Eric Bodden, http://bodden.de/
Principal Investigator in Secure Services at CASED
Coordinator of the CASED Advisory Board of Study Affairs
PostDoc at Software Technology Group, Technische Universität Darmstadt
Tel: +49 6151 16-5478    Fax: +49 6151 16-5410
Mailing Address: S2|02 A209, Hochschulstraße 10, 64289 Darmstadt