[Soot-list] Regarding Call Graph Construction.....

Eric Bodden bodden at st.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Mar 11 09:49:29 EST 2011

Hello.

On 11 March 2011 10:19, nishaanth <nishaanth08 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am from IIT Madras. I am in a group working on parallelization of soot
> call graph construction phase.

That sounds like a great project! (but also quite challenging, I have to say)

> I read the soot code for call graph
> construction .I am just using the dumbPointerAnalysis(CHATransormer) There
> were certain modules which were not clear.
> For example , what is the cicg datamember for in the OnFlyCallGraphBuilder.
> How is the build () working(Algorithm). i couldn't find a proper
> documentation for this. Can someone care to explain this or atleast provide
> links for the same.

Ok let me try...

DumbPointerAnalysis is a trivial pointer analysis that just says that
everything can point to everything else. For CHA this makes sense
because CHA only looks at the class hierarchy, not at pointers.

cicg stands for "context-insensitive call graph" and I think that this
is just the call graph that the OnFlyCallGraphBuilder builds.

Did you look at Ondrej's thesis? It should contain many details about this...
http://www.sable.mcgill.ca/publications/thesis/#olhotakMastersThesis

Dr. Eric Bodden, http://bodden.de/
Principal Investigator in Secure Services at CASED
Coordinator of the CASED Advisory Board of Study Affairs
PostDoc at Software Technology Group, Technische Universität Darmstadt
Tel: +49 6151 16-5478    Fax: +49 6151 16-5410
Mailing Address: S2|02 A209, Hochschulstraße 10, 64289 Darmstadt