[Soot-list] null typing passed to useChecker exception

Eric Bodden bodden at st.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri May 13 03:55:43 EDT 2011

Thanks John.

I can now reproduce the problem using your class file. It appears that
the problem only arises with some versions of javac. Moreover, to me
it looks as if the class file is actually illegal. The problem is that
according to those lines...

>> >    50      20      7    i$       I
>> >    19      54      3    i$       Ljava/util/Iterator;

... there are *two* local variables both called i$ and both have an
overlapping scope: the second variable is valid from pc 19 to 19*54,
the other one from 50 to 50+20. One could never create such a
situation in source code and hence I am not sure whether this should
be legal bytecode. The only fix for such situations could be to
explicitly treat this situation in soot.coffi.Util.

John, is this causing concrete problems for you at the moment?
Otherwise I would suggest not to do anything because this problem
really rather seems to be a bug in javac.

Dr. Eric Bodden, http://bodden.de/
Principal Investigator in Secure Services at CASED
Coordinator of the CASED Advisory Board of Study Affairs
PostDoc at Software Technology Group, Technische Universität Darmstadt
Tel: +49 6151 16-5478    Fax: +49 6151 16-5410
Mailing Address: S2|02 A209, Hochschulstraße 10, 64289 Darmstadt