[Soot-list] mayNotAlias , notMayAlias and mustNotAlias used in the instancekey class ?

Zell zell08v at orange.fr
Thu Aug 16 11:16:28 EDT 2012

Hello,

I find this part of codes from package soot.jimple.toolkits.pointer quite
confusing:

public boolean mayNotAlias(InstanceKey otherKey) {
        if (owner.equals(otherKey.owner) && stmtAfterAssignStmt!=null &&
otherKey.stmtAfterAssignStmt!=null) {
            if(lnma.notMayAlias(assignedLocal, stmtAfterAssignStmt,
otherKey.assignedLocal, otherKey.stmtAfterAssignStmt)) {
                return true;

On the first line, the term  may-not-alias is used

On the thrid line, the term not-may-alias is used.

On the "object representative" paper, the term " must-not-alias" is used.

Although they have suble different meanings in English, I guess that, in
SOOT, they are three terms for the same thing, right? Given (l1,s1) and
(l2,s2) two LocalStmt pairs, is that correct to conclude :

 may-not-alias (l1,s1,l2,s2) holds
<==>
 not-may-alias (l1,s1,l2,s2) holds
<==>