[Soot-list] Adopting the git-flow convention/layout

Eric Bodden eric.bodden at ec-spride.de
Wed Dec 5 09:43:16 EST 2012

Hi all.

I have read up about git and git-flow during the past few days:
http://blog.sourcetreeapp.com/2012/08/01/smart-branching-with-sourcetree-and-git-flow/

Git-flow is basically a set of tool-supported conventions for using
git in a sensible way. I really like the idea and I would like to
propose to use this convention for Soot's repository in the future.

The basic idea is that there are two main branches:
- master: this is where the latest externally visible release is held;
this is what people should usually download
- develop: this is where new features are developed and tested

New features are implemented by branching off "develop", implementing
the feature and then merging back into "develop".
Hotfixes (i.e. bug fixes) are branched off "master" and then merged
both into "master" and "develop".
At a release, develop is merged into "master".

I wonder what others think about this and if you agree that this is a
sensible idea.

Cheers,

Eric Bodden, Ph.D., http://sse.ec-spride.de/ http://bodden.de/
Head of Secure Software Engineering Group at EC SPRIDE
Tel: +49 6151 16-75422    Fax: +49 6151 16-72051
Room 3.2.14, Mornewegstr. 30, 64293 Darmstadt