[Soot-list] Soot needs better documentation

Patrick Lam plam at sable.mcgill.ca
Sun Jan 29 10:49:35 EST 2012

On 01/28/2012 04:30 PM, Prashant Deva wrote:
 > Current I dont think there is good enough documentation for Soot for
 > real commercial projects to spend time and money to use it.

Hi Prashant,

Soot was primarily developed as an academic research tool. While we've
made some efforts to make it easy to use, it's important to keep in mind
that the primary goal is to enable us (and, hopefully, others) to do
their research using Soot.

I believe that the contributed Soot survivor's guide is quite helpful as
a source of documentation. And Eric is, I believe, extremely helpful in
answering well-posed (and even some less-well-posed) questions on the
mailing list.

If some corporation were to sponsor the development of better
documentation, we'd be happy to work with them. As it is, however, we
are working in a resource-constrained context, and we distribute (for
free!) the results of our work on a best-effort basis.

pat