[Soot-list] Bug in Exclusion Mechanism?

Eric Bodden eric.bodden at ec-spride.de
Mon Jul 16 09:08:04 EDT 2012

Hi.

Technically this is not a problem with the exclusion mechanism. The
exclusions just say "when you find classes with that pattern on the
classpath don't load them". It does not say anything about classes
that are not found. -allow-phantom-refs talks about the latter, and
apparently something is not working for you with that mechanism. Did
you step through this with a debugger to see why Soot is not just
creating a phantom ref? It should...

Eric

On 16 July 2012 07:42, Marc-Andre Laverdiere-Papineau
<marc-andre.laverdiere-papineau at polymtl.ca> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to an analysis on Alfresco, and it turns out that the
> dependencies on that one are a nightmare.
>
> I am running without the whole program dependencies and I get this:
>
> 8:34:16.651 [main] DEBUG c.polymtl.gigl.casi.darwini.SootMain - Found 79
> exclusions: [javax.jcr, java_cup.runtime, org.mozilla,
> org.springframework, ...
>
> Soot started on Mon Jul 16 08:34:16 EDT 2012
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: couldn't find
> class: org.springframework.extensions.webscripts.TestWebScriptServer (is
> your soot-class-path set properly?)
>         at soot.SootResolver.bringToHierarchy(SootResolver.java:205)
>         at soot.SootResolver.processResolveWorklist(SootResolver.java:155)
>         at soot.SootResolver.resolveClass(SootResolver.java:124)
>         at soot.Scene.loadClass(Scene.java:448)
>         at soot.Scene.loadClassAndSupport(Scene.java:433)
>         at soot.Scene.loadNecessaryClasses(Scene.java:1079)
>         at soot.Main.run(Main.java:167)
>         at soot.Main.main(Main.java:141)
>         at ca.polymtl.gigl.casi.darwini.SootMain.main(SootMain.java:161)
>
> Now, I know that I don't have this on my classpath. But I need to know
> why I would've anyway. That's something that a jar needs, AFAIK, not the
> code itself.
>
> And since that code has weird dependencies, chasing the jar is no fun...
> Any way to fix the exclusion mechanism so that it doesn't even try to
> load this?
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Marc-André Laverdière-Papineau
> Étudiant au doctorat - PhD Student

Eric Bodden, Ph.D., http://bodden.de/
Head of Secure Software Engineering Group at EC SPRIDE
Principal Investigator in Secure Services at CASED
Tel: +49 6151 16-75422    Fax: +49 6151 16-72051
Room 3.2.14, Mornewegstr. 30, 64293 Darmstadt