[Soot-list] Switching the default throws analysis?

Richard Xiao richardxx at cse.ust.hk
Thu Jul 26 14:01:29 EDT 2012

Sure, this improvement is highly desired.
As been shown, the exception passing analysis significantly impacts the
call graph construction. I think, undoubtedly, many of us can benefit from
the change.

Best,
richardxx

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 7:21 PM, Eric Bodden <eric.bodden at ec-spride.de>wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Soot's default throw analysis is the "pedantic throws analysis", which
> assumes that every statement can throw any sort of exception. This has
> mostly historic reasons: There is a method Thread.stop() that used to
> kill a thread, causing apparently all sorts of exceptions to be thrown
> asynchronously. IMHO this is now outdated, as Thread.stop() is
> deprecated. In fact, I am not sure if VMs still allow this method to
> be called. I hence suggest to switch Soot's default to
> UnitThrowsAnalysis, which is a much more precise (and sensible)
> default to have.
>
> Any objections?
>
> Cheers,

> Eric Bodden, Ph.D., http://bodden.de/
> Head of Secure Software Engineering Group at EC SPRIDE
> Tel: +49 6151 16-75422    Fax: +49 6151 16-72051
> Room 3.2.14, Mornewegstr. 30, 64293 Darmstadt

Richard Xiao Xiao
PhD Student @ CSE @ Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
www.cse.ust.hk/~richardxx