[Soot-list] Switching the default throws analysis?

Eric Bodden eric.bodden at ec-spride.de
Thu Jul 26 07:21:32 EDT 2012

Hi all.

Soot's default throw analysis is the "pedantic throws analysis", which
assumes that every statement can throw any sort of exception. This has
mostly historic reasons: There is a method Thread.stop() that used to
kill a thread, causing apparently all sorts of exceptions to be thrown
asynchronously. IMHO this is now outdated, as Thread.stop() is
deprecated. In fact, I am not sure if VMs still allow this method to
be called. I hence suggest to switch Soot's default to
UnitThrowsAnalysis, which is a much more precise (and sensible)
default to have.

Any objections?

Cheers,

Eric Bodden, Ph.D., http://bodden.de/
Head of Secure Software Engineering Group at EC SPRIDE
Tel: +49 6151 16-75422    Fax: +49 6151 16-72051
Room 3.2.14, Mornewegstr. 30, 64293 Darmstadt