[Soot-list] Summary of Post-workshop discussion at SOAP

Marc-Andre Laverdiere-Papineau marc-andre.laverdiere-papineau at polymtl.ca
Fri Jun 22 17:26:06 EDT 2012

Hello Eric,

I would put things in the wiki, but it says insufficient permissions. So
I'll go for an email instead.

Topmost requirements are JSP/JSF support and taint tracking
Then, it would be multithreading.
A holy grail for me would be to make soot work without singletons and
other scalability-related things. The fact that summaries are coming is
already going to help a bunch, and I wouldn't mind helping out with that
if need me.

A low-priority requirement for me is mavenizing the project. That is
something I can help with.

How much I can code depends on my research after all :)

P.S. Do we have an ETA for the new interprocedural analysis? I don't
mind waiting a few weeks for it, but definitely can't wait a few months.

On 06/18/2012 10:04 AM, Eric Bodden wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> following this year's SOAP workshop
> (http://www.sable.mcgill.ca/soap/), we had an interesting discussion
> about the future of Soot. Thanks for all who contributed to the lively
> discussion!
>
> In general, there seemed to be the wish for a less monolithic version
> of Soot that would support analysis and instrumentation on a
> pay-as-you-go basis. As Patrick already mentioned in the other thread,
> this could mean either a complete rewrite of Soot or at least some
> major refactorings. We agreed to first go ahead with creating a wish
> list on the wiki, to solicit the community's requirements. I have put
> online this list here:
> https://svn.sable.mcgill.ca/wiki/index.cgi/SootWishList
> TO EDIT this page, you can just log in using any CamelCase user name.
> There is no need for a password.
>
> We also discussed that part of those future extensions to Soot could
> be integrated as a Google Summer of Code project:
> http://code.google.com/soc/
> It would be great if some people would volunteer to supervise such a project.
>
> Further, we plan to move Soot from SVN to Git on Github in the near
> future. This will allow users to more easily spawn custom versions of
> Soot and keep them up to date, to then later re-contribute code to the
> Soot project.
>
> At this point I would like to ask everyone who is interested to add
> requirements to the wish list, and/or to volunteer for looking into
> implementing the one or other requirement.
>
> Best wishes,

Marc-André Laverdière-Papineau
Étudiant au doctorat - PhD Student