[Soot-list] Mavenized Jasmin

Eric Bodden eric.bodden at ec-spride.de
Wed Jun 27 01:18:38 EDT 2012

Hello.

Marc-Andre: Bruno and I discussed the jar-file issue a few days ago.
Our idea was just to commit the JARs that jasmin and Soot require into
a directory in Git. They do not change very frequently (in fact, they
will probably change never), so I wonder if that would not be
sufficient in our case.

Eric

On 27 June 2012 01:38, Marc-Andre Laverdiere-Papineau
<marc-andre.laverdiere-papineau at polymtl.ca> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I thought of something... There is really nothing that prevents us from
> packaging our things with Ant and then uploading the jars, the checksum,
> etc. to a repository. It would require very little work and would make
> things easier to get started for n00bs like me.
>
> I don't mind putting together a few scripts to do that.
>
> On 06/26/2012 12:35 PM, Patrick Lam wrote:
>> On 06/26/12 12:32, Marc-Andre Laverdiere-Papineau wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> One of the nice things about Maven is how easy it is to get started.
>>> Instead of "download this thing, and we have those deps that we can't
>>> bundle", it becomes a few lines of XML and the Maven infrastructure
>>> handles it.
>>>
>>> Another nice benefit is that it means that we don't need to maintain a
>>> bunch of Jars in the git repo, or having to ask others to download them.
>>> It also lowers the risk of someone downloading a wrong version of a
>>> dependency that is incompatible, etc.
>>>
>>> Overall, considering your comments, I would suggest to keep the ant
>>> build as it is, but to add some Ivy glue to it. Best of both worlds :)
>>
>> It seems to me that well-written Maven can be usable, but I've
>> encountered too much bad Maven to be enthusiastic about it. It is a
>> large and complicated system and messing around with it is not my idea
>> of fun. Do we have the expertise to maintain this stuff?
>>
>> I would much rather maintain jars in the git repo than have links to
>> jars that don't exist anymore, which is extremely frustrating (from
>> firsthand experience!)
>>
>> I don't think we've ever experienced the incompatible dependency problem
>> with Soot.
>>
>> pat

> Marc-André Laverdière-Papineau
> Étudiant au doctorat - PhD Student

Eric Bodden, Ph.D., http://bodden.de/
Head of Secure Software Engineering Group at EC SPRIDE
Principal Investigator in Secure Services at CASED
Tel: +49 6151 16-75422    Fax: +49 6151 16-72051
Room 3.2.14, Mornewegstr. 30, 64293 Darmstadt