[Soot-list] Mavenized Jasmin

Marc-Andre Laverdiere-Papineau marc-andre.laverdiere-papineau at polymtl.ca
Tue Jun 26 19:38:53 EDT 2012

Hello,

I thought of something... There is really nothing that prevents us from
packaging our things with Ant and then uploading the jars, the checksum,
etc. to a repository. It would require very little work and would make
things easier to get started for n00bs like me.

I don't mind putting together a few scripts to do that.

On 06/26/2012 12:35 PM, Patrick Lam wrote:
> On 06/26/12 12:32, Marc-Andre Laverdiere-Papineau wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> One of the nice things about Maven is how easy it is to get started.
>> Instead of "download this thing, and we have those deps that we can't
>> bundle", it becomes a few lines of XML and the Maven infrastructure
>> handles it.
>>
>> Another nice benefit is that it means that we don't need to maintain a
>> bunch of Jars in the git repo, or having to ask others to download them.
>> It also lowers the risk of someone downloading a wrong version of a
>> dependency that is incompatible, etc.
>>
>> Overall, considering your comments, I would suggest to keep the ant
>> build as it is, but to add some Ivy glue to it. Best of both worlds :)
>
> It seems to me that well-written Maven can be usable, but I've
> encountered too much bad Maven to be enthusiastic about it. It is a
> large and complicated system and messing around with it is not my idea
> of fun. Do we have the expertise to maintain this stuff?
>
> I would much rather maintain jars in the git repo than have links to
> jars that don't exist anymore, which is extremely frustrating (from
> firsthand experience!)
>
> I don't think we've ever experienced the incompatible dependency problem
> with Soot.
>
> pat

Marc-André Laverdière-Papineau
Étudiant au doctorat - PhD Student