[Soot-list] exception table question

Heejong Lee heejong at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 03:35:35 EDT 2012

Hi guys,

May I ask a question related to exception table here?
I found a strange jimple code in my program and I suspect
that it's because of an illegal exception table.

The exception table from the javap output was:
Exception table:
         from    to  target type
            10    17    62   Class java/lang/Throwable
            10    17    96   any
            19    31   158   Class java/lang/Throwable
            19    31   146   any
            31    37   171   Class java/lang/Throwable
            31    37   150   any
            42    47   123   Class java/lang/Throwable
            52    57   127   Class java/lang/Throwable
            73    78   131   Class java/lang/Throwable
            83    88    91   Class java/lang/Throwable
           106   111   136   Class java/lang/Throwable
           116   121   141   Class java/lang/Throwable

It transforms into the following in jimple:
        catch java.lang.Throwable from label0 to label1 with label10;
        catch java.lang.Throwable from label0 to label1 with label17;
        catch java.lang.Throwable from label2 to label3 with label30;
        catch java.lang.Throwable from label2 to label3 with label28;
        catch java.lang.Throwable from label3 to label4 with label31;
        catch java.lang.Throwable from label3 to label4 with label29;
        catch java.lang.Throwable from label5 to label6 with label23;
        catch java.lang.Throwable from label7 to label8 with label24;
        catch java.lang.Throwable from label12 to label13 with label25;
        catch java.lang.Throwable from label14 to label15 with label16;
        catch java.lang.Throwable from label19 to label20 with label26;
        catch java.lang.Throwable from label21 to label22 with label27;

Is the first exception table illegal?
What does "any" mean in the first table?
Can I safely remove line 2, 4, 6 (the entry of type any) in the original table?

-- Heejong

--
Heejong Lee

Associate Research Engineer