[Soot-list] Exception while running

Quentin Sabah quentin.sabah at inria.fr
Sun Feb 3 05:35:10 EST 2013

Hi Zeinab,

We can only help you if you provide the maximum information about your environment, the commands you type, the complete errors you get and what you are trying to achieve.

A few days ago we helped you with your classpath problem (topic "problem in command line"), what happened next? Did it worked? Why isn't it working anymore?

Have you take a look at the massive amount of documentation existing [1]? I also strongly suggest that you read [2], it will give you some insights about Soot.

So far, have you been able to run Soot at least once? If not, follow the next instructions (if you are on Windows, you might have to adapt some commands). If you have an error at any point, reply with the maximum details about that point and all the previous points. Also tell us what operating system you are using, what version of java (java 6 is perfect for soot 2.5).

1) create a new directory "abc" (or whatever name you want)
2) put soot-2.5.0.jar in that directory
3) write the following example java program in abc/Hello.java:

  public class Hello { public static void main(String[] args) { System.out.println("Hello"); } }

4) from the command line, make abc the current directory and compile the Hello program, this should create Hello.class in the directory:
  javac Hello.java

5) execute the Hello program, it must print "Hello":
  java Hello

6) make sure the environment variable JAVA_HOME is set, otherwise set JAVA_HOME properly. On Windows you must type something like:
  set JAVA_HOME="C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_39\"
Adapt with the path of your java directory.

7) execute soot on our very simple example program. From the command line, make sure you are in the directory you created in the beginning and type:
  java -jar soot-2.5.0.jar -pp -cp . --app Hello

8) You should read "Soot finished …" if everything gone right. Check the file abc/sootOutput/Hello.class has been created by Soot. It's all done, you are ready to work.

[1] http://www.sable.mcgill.ca/soot/tutorial/
[2] http://www.brics.dk/SootGuide/

--
Quentin Sabah, CIFRE Ph.D. student
Grenoble University
mailto:quentin.sabah at inria.fr  | mailto:quentin.sabah at st.com
phone: +33 476 61 52 42        | phone: +33 476 58 44 14