[Soot-list] Usage of context-sensitive PTAs

Richard Xiao richardxx at cse.ust.hk
Sat Feb 9 00:38:25 EST 2013

Hi,

Basically, the context sensitive query for cs-demand and geom-pts is not
well supported in Spark. Therefore, Paddle and geom-pts all have their own
way of issuing queries (sorry I'm not familiar with cs-demand also). And,
if you want more precise alias queries, Paddle and geom-pts can even
perform heap-sensitive alias query. Of course, these querying interfaces
are not well documented. I will write a short tutorial after my return from
holiday and let you know then.

"geom-trans' option translates the context sensitive points-to results to
Spark style points-to vectors. This is used for drop-in replacement of
Spark in existing applications. After the translation, you cannot perform
more precise query anymore (e.g. heap sensitive alias query), because the
context sensitive results are discarded.

Thanks for your testing driver, I've notice it. I will try to have a look
it for you ASAP.

Regards,
Xiao

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 5:24 AM, Quentin Sabah <quentin.sabah at inria.fr>wrote:

> Hi all, I partly solved my problem with the geom-pta.
>
> > Using the ptas without context, I experience two strange behaviours:
>
> > - with geom-pta, reachingObjects(Local) looks also fine but
> > reachinObjectsArrayElements(PTS) always returns an empty pts where the
> > vanilla Spark returns the proper set of AllocNode corresponding to
> > objects stored in the array.
>

> In fact, with '-p cg.spark enabled,geom-pta', even
> reachingObjects(PTS,FIELD) is returning an empty pts.
> However, I found out that I get proper results when I add the 'geom-trans'
> option.
>
> Regarding the use of a Context with reachingObjects, I have been reading
> Soot's source code to get more information but it is quite complex. My
> conclusion is that I should pass a Context from either tgtCtxt or srcCtxt
> of a callgraph edge I'm interested in. Any advice is welcome.
>
> Regards.
>
> --
> Quentin Sabah, CIFRE Ph.D. student
> Grenoble University
> INRIA-SARDES                   | STMicroelectronics/AST
> Montbonnot, France             | Grenoble, France
> mailto:quentin.sabah at inria.fr  | mailto:quentin.sabah at st.com
> phone: +33 476 61 52 42        | phone: +33 476 58 44 14

Richard Xiao Xiao
PhD Student @ CSE @ Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
www.cse.ust.hk/~richardxx