[Soot-list] Question about Shimple

Eric Bodden eric.bodden at ec-spride.de
Fri Feb 22 10:55:42 EST 2013

Hello.

> I would also like to know what other features Shimple introduces (in
> addition to phi-nodes)?

I think there are no other features, except for "pi" nodes, but I
forgot what those were for...
Generally, I believe that SSA is
useful for some algorithms, because one can do fast lookups and save
memory. I know of some algorithms that have a reduced complexity when
using SSA, e.g., algorithms for register allocation. Having said that,
for most data-flow analyses SSA does not really buy you much, I think,
and since Soot is used mostly for data-flow analysis this is why many
existing analyses are build on Jimple instead of Shimple.