[Soot-list] Question about Shimple

Richard Xiao richardxx at cse.ust.hk
Sat Feb 23 01:08:15 EST 2013

Hi, Eric:

SSA is primarily developed for accelerating data flow analysis by
exploiting sparsity, such as sparse constant propagation, sparse pointer
analysis, etc.

Therefore, I think the powerful provided by SSA is not the separating of
definition places of the same variable, but the way of thinking in sparsity.

Cheers,
Xiao

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 11:55 PM, Eric Bodden <eric.bodden at ec-spride.de>wrote:

> Hello.
>
> > I would also like to know what other features Shimple introduces (in
> > addition to phi-nodes)?
>
> I think there are no other features, except for "pi" nodes, but I
> forgot what those were for...
> Generally, I believe that SSA is
> useful for some algorithms, because one can do fast lookups and save
> memory. I know of some algorithms that have a reduced complexity when
> using SSA, e.g., algorithms for register allocation. Having said that,
> for most data-flow analyses SSA does not really buy you much, I think,
> and since Soot is used mostly for data-flow analysis this is why many
> existing analyses are build on Jimple instead of Shimple.

Richard Xiao Xiao
PhD Student @ CSE @ Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
www.cse.ust.hk/~richardxx