[Soot-list] Soot release

Marc-Andre Laverdiere-Papineau marc-andre.laverdiere-papineau at polymtl.ca
Mon Jan 14 13:38:25 EST 2013

I am trying to think of what that means concretely for the project.

Obviously, there is a command-line switch. But we can map it to use the
Java 5 front-end. That amounts to an invisible change.

Then, there is the source compatibility - maybe some projects would like
to have warning/errors for code that is not Java 4 and lower. I am
stretching my imagination here... I can't think of any project being
really *against* better Java support.

So one possibility is that some projects would depend on the Polyglot
AST - maybe some rewriting of some kind?

If that is the case, then we have to keep this component working
forever. But I would like to have their maintainers confirming that need.

If there is nothing like that, we can mark Polyglot support as
deprecated, issue a warning, and hopefully get everyone to transition by
the next release.

How does that sound?

Marc-André Laverdière-Papineau
Doctorant - PhD Candidate