[Soot-list] Soot release

Marc-Andre Laverdiere-Papineau marc-andre.laverdiere-papineau at polymtl.ca
Tue Jan 15 12:29:27 EST 2013

Hello,

This is my software engineering side that is showing here - soot is
already very big, so any duplicate functionality is good to remove.

It doesn't help software comprehension either. I recall as a noob (which
I still am, BTW, only slightly less than before) at first, wondering
"What in the world is Polyglot??? What should I use?"

Also, we have a dependency on an unmaintained package, which translates
to me as "disaster waiting to happen".

I also understand that nobody wants make our users suffer either - so we
sort of have to keep it as long as someone will want to use it.

I think deprecation is the right way to go short term. Maybe we can had
some output like the following?

** WARNING WARNING  you are using the Polyglot front-end, which is
deprecated. Please consider using the JastAddJ front-end

Regards,

Marc-André Laverdière-Papineau
Doctorant - PhD Candidate