[Soot-list] side-effect and exception analysis with soot

Martin Schäf martinschaef at gmail.com
Thu May 2 14:36:02 EDT 2013

Hi there,
we have a tool that uses soot to translate from java bytecode to
boogie (https://code.google.com/p/joogie/). For that we need to know
for each method which global variables (StaticFields) it modifies
(this actually has to be transitive, but may be a worst case
over-approximation) .
It would also be great to know the InstanceFields it may write to.

Further we need to know which it exception might be thrown (including
stuff like RuntimeException), again this has to be transitive as well.

We have an implementation, but it is very ugly. So, I was wondering,
is there an elegant way in Soot to obtain side-effects and worst-case
exception analysis from Soot?

Best,
Martin