[Soot-list] Introducing the ASM Frontend for Soot

Steven Arzt Steven.Arzt at cased.de
Mon Jul 7 09:04:40 EDT 2014

Hi Soot Users,

I just merged the new ASM frontend for parsing Java “class” files into the
Soot develop branch. This frontend has been around in its own branch for
quite a while now, so we decided to go forward on that now. My student has
invested quite some time into testing it and sorting out a number of issues
and we now believe that it is sufficiently stable for productive use. ASM is
several times faster than Coffi, while supporting all of its features, so we
made it the default. If you find any issues with the new frontend, please
send me an e-mail.

If you need to, you can use the new “coffi” Boolean option from either code
or the command line to get back Coffi.

If you use ANT for building Soot, please note that there is a new line for
the path to the ASM library in ant.settings – just copy it over from the
ant.settings.template file.

Best regards,

  Steven

M.Sc. M.Sc. Steven Arzt

Secure Software Engineering Group (SSE)

European Center for Security and Privacy by Design (EC SPRIDE)

Mornewegstraße 32

D-64293 Darmstadt

Phone: +49 61 51 16-75426

Fax: +49 61 51 16-72118