[Soot-list] Bug in exception handling?

Marc-André Laverdière marc-andre.laverdiere-papineau at polymtl.ca
Wed Mar 12 09:43:16 EDT 2014

Hi Steven,

Maybe I didn't read the issue right. It looks like the same problem,
but I'm not working on Android.

The last time I pulled Soot's dev branch was on Feb 27th, and the
commits since then don't look like they'd address that :(

Marc-André Laverdière-Papineau
Doctorant - PhD Candidate

On 03/11/2014 03:19 PM, Steven Arzt wrote:
> If it's really that old issue (and it certainly looks like it is),
> this is not a bug, but rather a usage pitfall. Try putting the
> Android JAR file on the classpath and try again. The explanation is
> in the bug tracker.
>
> -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht----- Von:
> soot-list-bounces at sable.mcgill.ca
> [mailto:soot-list-bounces at sable.mcgill.ca] Im Auftrag von
> Marc-André Laverdière Gesendet: Dienstag, 11. März 2014 19:00 An:
> Soot list Betreff: Re: [Soot-list] Bug in exception handling?
>
> You have a good memory. This was reported (but for Android)
> already https://github.com/Sable/soot/issues/167
>
> Marc-André Laverdière-Papineau Doctorant - PhD Candidate
>
> On 03/11/2014 08:01 AM, Bodden, Eric wrote:
>> Hi Marc-Andre.
>
>> Yes I think we have seen this before. It is indeed caused by the
>> new syntax. Can you please check whether this is already in the
>> bug tracker and add it otherwise?
>
>> Cheers, Eric
>
>> On 10.03.2014, at 18:14, Marc-André Laverdière
>> <marc-andre.laverdiere-papineau at polymtl.ca> wrote:
>
>>> Hello Sooters,
>>>
>>> I got a weird exception loading the bytecode from a method body
>>> (it is precompiled and from a FLOSS project I am not too
>>> familiar with)
>>>
>>> java.lang.RuntimeException: Exception reference used other than
>>> as the first statement of an exception handler. at
>>> soot.jimple.toolkits.typing.fast.AugEvalFunction.eval_(AugEvalFunctio

n.java:160)

> at ...
>>> soot.coffi.CoffiMethodSource.getBody(CoffiMethodSource.java:117)

at soot.SootMethod.getBodyFromMethodSource(SootMethod.java:87)

>>> The corresponding code snippet: String newId = null; try {
>>> String latestId = new DocumentRevisionDAO(new
>>> Locale(user.getLanguage()), em).findLatestDocMId(pWorkspaceId,
>>> template.getDocumentType()); String inputMask =
>>> template.getMask(); String convertedMask =
>>> Tools.convertMask(inputMask); newId =
>>> Tools.increaseId(latestId, convertedMask); } catch
>>> (ParseException | NoResultException ex) { //may happen when a
>>> different mask has been used for the same document type //or
>>> //may happen when no document of the specified type has been
>>> created }
>>>
>>> This form is new in Java 7.
>>> http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/guides/language/catch-

multiple.html