[Soot-list] unreachable code in jimple files?

Bodden, Eric eric.bodden at sit.fraunhofer.de
Wed Sep 3 04:28:12 EDT 2014

Hi Martin.

> I have a new opinion and this might also be interesting for another email thread that talks about detecting finally blocks:
> In
> >             21   135   170   Class java/lang/Throwable
> >             21   135   179   any
> Is it possible that the "catch" is the first line, and the finally the the second? Because, as finally is executed anyway, it actually does also catch stuff that is not "Throwable" (even though you have to switch off the bytecode verifier for that).

Well, every thing you can throw in Java is, by definition, a Throwable (hence the name). Thus Throwable is really the same as any.

It might well be that javac compiles finally-blocks with "any" but that's then just an artifact of the computation. Any other compiler could just as well use "Throwable".

> On the other hand, how would you pitch a problem like this to the JDK folks / how do you reach them?

I think this here would be the appropriate list: