[Soot-list] How to flash instrumented Android framework onto device?

jsmi.android at gmail.com jsmi.android at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 09:58:34 EDT 2016

I am adding some instrumentation on the Android framework in android.widget
classes using Soot. I built an instrumented framework.jar using soot but I
just can not figure out how to run it onto the phone.

*My setup:-- *

I am using a Google Nexus 6P device. I have downloaded and built android
source code and was able to flash it on to the device.

*Things I have tried--*

0. I converted framework.jar into classes.dex and classes2.dex by running
dx.

1. I realise that the framework is packaged inside the boot.oat file. I
pulled boot.oat from /system/framework/arm64/ on the device and ran oat2dex
and then dex2oat to repackage boot.oat and put boot.oat back to
/system/framework/arm64/ but it breaks the boot where zygote is unable to
start the system_process due to some checksum related failure.

2. I replaced classes.dex and classes2.dex into the Android source tree at
"out/target/product/angler/obj/JAVA_LIBRARIES/framework_intermediates", but
when I try to build Android, the build process does not like these dex
files and deletes them.

*** Overlay change detected, clean shared intermediate files...

To summarise my problem:
*Given a framework.jar, a fully built Android source tree functioning on
Nexus 6P device, how do I just change Android's framework.jar on the
device?*

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Jia