[Soot-list] SootMethod & SootMethodRef

Jan Peter Stotz jan-peter.stotz at sit.fraunhofer.de
Sun Oct 21 11:01:54 EDT 2018

Hi all,

the last days I was working intensively with the the soot classes
SootMethod (class) and SootMethodRef (interface).

The general usage is clear, SootMethodRef is an unresolved reference
where as SootMethod is a resolved reference to a method.

Therefore SootMethod and SootMethodRef have a very similar interface,
however they do not have a common interface, even the methods they
provide have subtle differences, for example:

SootMethodRef.declaringClass() - SootMethod.getDeclaringClass()

Is there any reason why we don't let SootMethod additionally the
SootMethodRef interface?
Or may be we should create an new SootMethodInterface containing the
methods except resolve() and tryResolve() fro SootMethodRef?

Having a common interface for both would really be helpful because at
the moment you have to write everything twice if you want to be able to
handle both variants...

What does the soot community think on that topic?

Jan