COMP 302: Programming Languages and Paradigms
Winter 2018, McGill University
Time & Place Class Schedule
Tuesday, Thursday 13:05—14:25
McConnell (ENGMC) 204 The "overflow" room in BIRKS 205 is no longer being used; always go to ENGMC204.
Instructor Website Email
McConnell Engineering Building 230
Office hours: Tuesdays 14:30-16:00, Fridays 10:00-11:30.
Note that exceptional changes to office hours etc are announced in mycourses.
- Eric Zhang: Mondays, 13:00-16:00, Trottier 3110
- Hanfeng Chen: Wednesdays 15:00-17:00, McConnell Eng. 234
- Anurag Roy: Thursdays 10:30-12:30, Trottier 3110
- Yanis Hattab: Fridays 13:00-15:00, Trottier 3110
COMP 250 (Introduction to Computer Science)
There is no required text for this course. The following texts, available at the bookstore
and on reserve at the library, are useful as references for different topics covered in the course.
- Recommended: Scala for the Impatient 2nd Edition, 2017. Cay S. Horstmann
We will be using Scala as a base language in this course. This text provides a good, relatively quick introduction/reference for the Scala language.
- Optional: Programming in Scala 3rd Edition, 2016. Martin Odersky
A more comprehensive, much but also less gentle Scala reference.
- Optional: Types and Programming Languages 2002. Benjamin C. Pierce
A classic reference, somewhat expensive and covering much more than we will get to in-class, but useful if you find type systems interesting. You can also find earlier, draft versions of the text on the web.