Re: Grammars for JSP, ASP, HTML...

Hello Gary,

you wrote [a long time ago ;-)]:
 > I'm working on a tool for source code analysis and modification.
 > I have a very beta version working for Java. For better or worse
 > though much of the source I need to work with is JSP, ASP, HTML...
 >
 > This is source from clients so anything is possible, JSP, ASP, HTML
 > combined with any combination of: Javascript, DHMTL, CSS, etc...
 >
 > I've heard of people having problems writing such grammars but no
 > successes. Anyone out there silently successful?

There is a grammar for HTML 3.2 under ANTLR, but it should be not too
difficult to transform it to SableCC.

 > Oppinions: one big parser vs. many smaller parsers working in tandem?

I have not yet used SableCC for a reasonable project [, so cannot say
anything about possible practical hurdles], but for stylistic reasons,
the flexibility you need seems to call for a collaborating parser
collection.

 > Probably need to clean the code first (balance tags etc...). Maybe a
 > seperate util maybe
 > a preparser parser.

May be, ``tidy'' can do [at least a part of] the job for you.  For me,
it works well as a pre-processor for the [antlr-based] html parser.

Hoping, a late answer is better than none,

   Markus

--
http://www.dfki.de/~mp