[Soot-list] regarding Spark's poitstoSet analysis

Eric Bodden eric.bodden at mail.mcgill.ca
Fri Jul 17 17:25:26 EDT 2009

Hi Vishal.

> LHS column is the normal code and RHS is IR (intermediate represen.)
> if I want to check that if t1 and t2 point to the same object, meaning
> they are definitely same, is this condition a good check :
>
>    PointsToSetInternal(t1).pointsTosetEquals(Ptoset(t2))
>  && PointsToset(t1).size ==1

This is a necessary condition but not a sufficient condition. Two
pointers that have the same points-to set could point to two different
(i.e. not "the same") objects that were created at the same allocation
site.

Soot has a local, i.e. intra-procedural must-alias analysis:
http://www.sable.mcgill.ca/soot/doc/soot/jimple/toolkits/pointer/LocalMustAliasAnalysis.html
Unfortunately, as of yet, we have no generic global (i.e.
whole-program) must-alias analysis.

Eric Bodden
Sable Research Group, McGill University
Montréal, Québec, Canada