[Soot-list] Construction of CFG isn't it a built-in functions of SOOT?

Z zell08v at orange.fr
Thu Apr 19 00:56:36 EDT 2012

Hi,

Excuse me for my superficial question, but I feel confused when I am trying
to understand SOOT by doing this mini-project:
http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~rountev/788/project/Phase1.txt

This project asks student to construct a control flow graph for each method
of the program JLex.  However, when I peek into some soot API like
ClassicCompleteGraph, or UnitGraph, I find plenty of built-in classes that
construct various different kinds of CFG.

Besides, in Survivor's Guide from page 43, the authors wrote a section to
tell how to construct CFG from scratch, but as I mentioned above, built-in
functions exist already in Soot libraries, don't they??

Am I misunderstanding something here? Would you like to clarify a bit? I
just cannot understand reasons to re-invent the wheels. Thanks.

Zell.