[Soot-list] Construction of CFG isn't it a built-in functions of SOOT?

Eric Bodden eric.bodden at ec-spride.de
Thu Apr 19 04:34:30 EDT 2012

Hi Zell.

Yes, Soot supports this out of the box. Maybe you should rather ask
Nasko Rountev about why he poses this as an exercise :-)

Eric

On 19 April 2012 06:56, Z <zell08v at orange.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Excuse me for my superficial question, but I feel confused when I am trying
> to understand SOOT by doing this mini-project:
> http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~rountev/788/project/Phase1.txt
>
> This project asks student to construct a control flow graph for each method
> of the program JLex.  However, when I peek into some soot API like
> ClassicCompleteGraph, or UnitGraph, I find plenty of built-in classes that
> construct various different kinds of CFG.
>
> Besides, in Survivor's Guide from page 43, the authors wrote a section to
> tell how to construct CFG from scratch, but as I mentioned above, built-in
> functions exist already in Soot libraries, don't they??
>
> Am I misunderstanding something here? Would you like to clarify a bit? I
> just cannot understand reasons to re-invent the wheels. Thanks.
>
> Zell.

Eric Bodden, Ph.D., http://bodden.de/
Head of Secure Software Engineering Group at EC SPRIDE
Principal Investigator in Secure Services at CASED
Tel: +49 6151 16-75422    Fax: +49 6151 16-72051
Room 3.2.14, Mornewegstr. 30, 64293 Darmstadt