[Soot-list] Android APK Analysis

Steven Arzt Steven.Arzt at cased.de
Mon Mar 31 03:30:31 EDT 2014

Hi Modhi,

Soot translates Android APK / dex files to Jimple just as it would do with
Java class or source files. When writing the output, the new APK / dex files
are generated from Jimple just as it would be with Java class files. So the
process of using the Jimple method bodies is no different to the Soot user.
Still, if you want to perform e.g. a static analysis, you have to keep the
Android semantics (i.e. the lifecycle) in mind, but this is a semantic
problem.

If you get empty bodies, something's obviously wrong. Could you provide the
source code you have used? There are quite some tutorials about using Soot
for Android out there... If you need a good one:
http://sseblog.ec-spride.de/tutorials/ Look for the RV2013 paper and the
CCS2013 slides.

Best regards,
  Steven